Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Final Countdown

Hi everyone,

This post is going to be bit jumbled and probably not so interesting, sorry. It's just a wrap-up of New Zealand, and post Simon and Garfunkel, it was relatively low-key. Whenever my planetary geology professor would talk about the main sequence, I always imagined a band of helium and hydrogen atoms (as in Radium Man style). They would be called The Main Sequence, and they would always play the Final Countdown. They would have a drummer. Don't ask.

Anyway, so when I got back from Auckland, I had finals. So I dealt with those. Yay, interesting story! No, really, I studied and I took finals. Whoo! Well, okay, there was also a games night in there and a significant number of movies and TV shows. Okay, so, I really was sort of a slacker relative to what I am at home, but I did study, and I don't feel too badly about any of my finals, so... here's hoping!

Ellen left on the 15th, which is ridiculously early, and that was so sad!!! A bunch of people went to the airport with her to lighten the cost of the shuttle and to see her off at the airport. Earlier that day, we went downtown and did some last minute shopping with her and just puttered around Christchurch.

Tamar, Alyssa, Shalom, and I went on the Grand Tour somewhere in there... on a Sunday, as I recall. This is a photo of Mona Vale, a garden in Christchurch.


When we all had just one final left (and some of us none, but I was not one of those lucky few), we celebrated by going to get souvlakis. Unfortunately, the really awesome souvlaki place was CLOSED and we had to settle for a different one. I do have some really fantastic photos from souvlakis, but Shalom would probably kill me if I posted them. She was disapproving enough of me taking photos while she was eating in the first place. Later that day, Nick and I went to Campbell's window display! It was awesome!

Then, on my last full day, I wandered around Christchurch and took some photos.


The fountain outside of the Canterbury Museum and the house in the Arts Centre. Oh, and I went to the Art Gallery with Kate (Maude) and it was AWESOME. Rita Angus is completely talented, but the gift shop had NO Rita Angus postcards. It was tragic. I have no postcards from my visit to the Art Gallery... unheard of. The Canterbury Museum was nice, but was a little bit too much New Zealand for me on my last day.

So, now I am back in Juneau! I might continue to post, but I'll be less frequent (and interesting, let's face it). I'll see you all when I see you, Americans and Kiwis alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment