Thursday, March 19, 2009

Colored Pencils!

First off, I would just like to share that Nick and I tied for first in orienteering with a grand total of 21 points. In the other lab, one group got 22 points, but fortunately we were only competing against our own lab. My prize was a small set of colored pencils and Nick's was a small circular protractor, both of which are going to be very handy.

Today's lab was taking strike and dip measurements, which is old hat, but we got to wander around campus to do it. It was good fun and Nick and I spent most of the time coming up with other New Zealand-America differences.

1. The concept of borders. As Nick says, why would you want to have other countries around you? Of course America doesn't really have much choice unless they want to invade Canada and Mexico, but just the idea of being near a border is strange to an island nation.

2. Wawa pointed this one out and Nick confirmed it for me - Kiwis don't really talk about their families. We were having the exchange of family information (siblings, parents' occupations, etc.) in my flat over fried rice (apparently in Malaysia, it is typical to have a ten o'clock second dinner, of which I heartily approve), and Wawa said, "If we're making you uncomfortable, just let us know," and I was puzzled by that because it was a very standard information exchange. She explained that in Malaysia, it is one of the first conversations with a new acquaintance, but that Kiwis get sort of uncomfortable about it. I think it is timing more than anything - for a Kiwi, that sort of thing may come up in conversation, but probably only after knowing each other for a long time, and never in that sort of question answer format. Being asked so early on and in that way is just awkward for them. After I asked Nick if what Wawa said was true, I decided not to ask him if he had siblings, although I do know that his father loves Scrabble.

3. You are not allowed to sample bulk foods before buying them...

4. Words. From soft drink and soda pop to car park and parking lot, so many words are different. Today I learned "gutted" (which can either be disappointed/upset as in "I'm so gutted" or an exclamation expressing those things as in "Gutted!" when losing a game of Speed), but there are many others. There are also words that we also use, but not as much. Instead of "lots"/"loads"/"tons", Kiwis use "heaps," and instead of "think," Kiwis use "reckon." There are so many, and I have avoided English language differences in these lists up until now, but I learned that new one today, and wanted to share. Oh, and aluminium. Seriously, what is that.

5. The bus drivers are nice to both their riders and other cars on the road. I know there are plenty of nice bus drivers in the States, but here they are the rule rather than the exception.

Well, that's just about it for this post. There's a book on sale at the bookstore that is about duels in New Zealand (with firearms, not with swords, unfortunately). I'm sort of tempted to get it, but I know I don't need that...

I went to Kathmandu Clearance, which is their outlet, and it was great! I got a shirt (I went with the intent of getting a non-cotton shirt, but ended up leaving with a 100% cotton shirt...) and a thermos.

No comments:

Post a Comment