Monday, March 2, 2009

Sticky Wicket

In response to some comments:

I looked up "sticky wicket" on wikipedia, and it informed me that the phrase actually refers to the pitch, that is the small rectangular surface in the center of the field on which the ball is delivered and batted. Since that is apparently also called a wicket (seems a bit confusing, but okay), a sticky wicket is when the field gets wet in the rain and the wicket dries oddly, creating a surface that deflects the ball erratically. So a "sticky wicket" is a tricky situation, because when you have an actual sticky wicket, it's very hard to hit the ball. Go go wikipedia!

I do have a camera, and I have been taking photos, but I haven't uploaded them yet. My computer is full, so I have to do some deleting/filing/saving to my external hard drive, and I am just not organized enough for that yet. Also, I pay for my internet per gigabyte here, so when I do get all my photos saved and squared away, I will try to be sparing when posting them.

In other news:

I may have finally sorted out my courses, although I am possibly far over my head in an upper level linguistics course and an upper upper level paleontology course. I am researching the evolution of mammoths for my paleontology course, and haven't actually been to the linguistics course because I just got it sorted today.

The linguistics department told me I should be fine, and by the linguistics department, I mean a quite dapper gentleman who was in the department office. He was wearing a rather snappy suit and looked very very distinguished, and looked as if he should have had a monocle. He leaned forward to speak with me like Basil of Baker Street when he is addressing Olivia Flaversham. At least I think that is her last name, he gets it wrong repeatedly, so I sometimes forget. Anyway, he told me I should be fine, even though phonology is a 22 point course (like a five or six credit course at home) and I am only a small cluster student.

Also, Shalom is here!!! She let me do laundry in her flat, as my flat is seriously deficient. In the new flats, there are no ovens or laundry machines, sadly. The price for a newer flat, I suppose. She lives in the middle flats, and they are absolutely lovely, except that one of her walls is cement. My walls are like real walls, but they are only marginally better at keeping the sound out. It was very exciting to walk into my room for the first time to find real walls and a real, clean carpeted floor with no water damage. All the same, a washing machine would be nice... Shalom lets me do laundry there, though, and I'm sure we will be making pizza in the oven at some point.

I might be meeting up with Kate in Kaikoura next weekend!!! Kate! Kaikoura!! Yay!!! Did you see how I did that, the one two three exclamation points? That's what going to college teaches you. But no, I would really love to go to Kaikoura, and I would really also really love to see Kate, so hopefully that'll happen.

I'm out of news, and I could type many things like what I ate for dinner and how rockin' my dinosaur bag turned out to be, but I think I'm going to let you go. I promise a less inane post in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment